Cowboys destroy Comets


Posted by Salman Mitha

Posted in GFL / Sport Eagle Update


Iler Stadium, Kempten, October 7 – Markus Gärtner caught a touchdown pass and returned an onside kick attempt back for another touchdown as the Munich Cowboys defeated the Allgäu Comets 33-24 in the second leg of the GFL Relegation Playoffs.

The Cowboys won both legs with a total score of 92-59 and thus stay in the GFL top flight.  The Comets will try to defend their GFL second division title and go for a promotion chance again next year.

A crowd of 1,700 fans ignored the cold, wet Sunday morning to cheer on their teams, most of them Comets fans.  Depite the warm atmosphere, the field was muddy and it was tough for both offenses to get on track like in the first game.

But the conditions were conducive to mistakes and Allgäu were the first to turn the ball over. 

With the score tied at 3-3, quarterback Shane Jackson, who was harassed all day the Munich defense, fumbled the ball, giving the Cowboys a short field.  Four plays later, Patrick Carey found Gärtner in the corner of the end zone for the game’s first touchdown and the lead 10-3.

Fabien Gärtner was able to hit his holes and help the Cowboys control the game. Photo: Sport Eagle/Mitha

Munich head coach James Craig decided to keep the momentum going, deciding for an onside kick and his team succesfully recovered.

It was Fabien Gärtner this time who took it in for a touchdown, running 18 yards off a draw play, and extended the lead 17-3.

Desperate to get on track, Allgäu started to force things which led to more mistakes.  After an 11-yard sack to start the drive, Comets went for it on fourth down deep in their territory and were unable to convert.  Another short field for the Cowboys.  Fabien Gärtner and Carey runs brought the team down to the 8-yard line, close enough to kick a field goal right and a 20-3 halftime lead.

The game and the playoff was over when the Cowboys took the opening drive of the second half 56 yards in 8 plays, six of them Fabien Gärtner rushes, setting up a Carey three yard touchdown pass to Philipp Vinzenz.

After throwing eight touchdown passes in the first game, Carey was only able to throw for 75 yards and two scores.

Jackson had a rougher time out there, constantly pressured and his receivers were dropping the ball.  Down 27-3 in the final quarter, Jackson rallied his troops, rushing for a TD, then throwing two TD passes to Orlando Webb.

The rain stopped and Shane Jackson was able to lead the Comets back, but it was too late. Photo: Sport Eagle/Mitha

With the score 27-24, Allgäu wanted the ball back and go for the win for pride.  But the ensuing onside kick was picked up by Markus Gärtner, who sprinted 25 yards for the quick score.

But the player of the game was Fabien Gärtner who rushed for 221 yards on 31 carries.  The ground game was the key in the wet conditions, and keeping the clock moving with possession meant limiting the Comets from coming back from the 24-point deficit set in the first game.

Florian Schmidt-Sommerfeld contributed to this article.

Comments are closed.